• International Students & Mobility Centre
  • studyabroad@um.edu.my
  • 03-7967 7712


What program is available for UM student to go abroad?
a) Long Term Program (Consist of One/Two semester Mobility Outbound Program)
b) Short Term Program (Summer & Winter Program, Short Term Program Organized by Faculty, Short Term Program under Association)

Who can participate?
To be eligible to participate in the Mobility Outbound Program, you will need to meet a number of requirements by the end of the semester in which you apply.

a) Completed one semester of studies but non-final year (Final semester) full time undergraduate and postgraduate student
b) Academic standing of at least GPA 3.0 and above - 1 semester exchange program, GPA 2.75 and above for short-term program
c) English Language Ability (if required by host university) or subject to additional requirements set by partner universities
d) Free from any disciplinary action

When should I apply?
Application must be made during the duration stated as below:

Semester 1 (August – Dec)
Fall Intake

Applications Open:
1st January until 31st March

Applications Close:
1st April

Semester 2 (Feb - July)
Spring Intake

Applications Open:
1st August until 31st October

Applications Close:
1st November

How do I apply?
To submit an application, you are required to complete the steps shown as in the flyers below:

Do I need to apply permission to travel (kebenaran ke luar negara)?
Yes. Student must submit application to International Students and Mobility Centre (ISC) through umglobe.um.edu.my in order to get the permission to travel to go abroad.

Which host university is right for me?
Choosing a host university is a personal decision that will depend on what your study, and what you wish to get out of the experience. In order to do that, you are required to conduct research by referring to UM Partner List or Current Outbound Oppurtunities especially details in factsheets or the host university website. You may find the following resources helpful as you research your host institution and country:

a) Academic advisers or staff from your faculty
b) Host university websites
c) Past and present exchange students testimonials
d) Current Outbound Opportunities

Do I have to speak a foreign language to study in a non-English speaking country?
Not necessarily. Many exchange partners in non-English speaking countries offer courses taught in both English and the native language of that country. Please visit the host university web page to find out if they offer courses in English. 

Do note that universities in Australia required students to submit active IELTS/TOEFL and MUET is not acceptable.

How much does it cost to go on exchange?
While costs will differ depending on where you go, some countries are also more expensive than others. It's a good idea to plan a budget appropriate to the country and city where you plan to study. If you are on a tight budget, choose your destination wisely. Many host institutions' websites provide information regarding basic costs for students studying on exchange for example the accommodation fee and budget for daily expenses. Remember to keep an eye on the exchange rate, as costs will vary depending on the strength of the Malaysia Ringgit. Make use of an online currency converter to help with your budget.

What scholarships are available for students going on exchange?
Universiti Malaya will provide financial support up to a ceiling costs of RM2,500 per student based on the eligibility. However, there are also a lists of scholarships available offered by host university every year such as JASSO Scholarship, ERASMUS+, Global Korean Scholarship (GKS), POSCO Fellowships Award, etc. Please refer to International Students and Mobility Centre (ISC) for details related to the scholarships available.

Do I have to pay tuition to the host university while I’m on exchange?
While you are on exchange, you are not required to pay any fees including tuition fees to Universiti Malaya. Most partners institution will waived the tuition fee at host university as part of the exchange agreement. However, there are some condition where student will need to pay administrative fees based on requirement set by partner university. Students are also reminded to contact PTPTN/JPA/Scholarship providers to inform about their program at university abroad.

What happens if I don’t get into my first preference?
If you do not get into your first preference university we will try to place you in your second or third preference. Thus, it is important to do a thorough research on the preferred university before you apply to the program.

What happens if I go for a semester and want to stay longer?
Exchanges can only be for a maximum of two semesters at any one exchange partner. If you originally planned to stay for one semester, but want to stay for an additional semester, you can fill in the application form again and get approval from faculty. You will need to apply for withdrawal from the semester again.

Do I need a student visa?
Most countries require international students to apply for a valid student visa if they are planning to stay there for more than 180 days. Please check the requirements in detail with your host university or with the relevant embassies/consulates in Malaysia. Please bear in mind that failure to comply with the entry visa requirements may result in delays or even deportation. Application and cost for a student visa are borne by the student. What you need to find out about a student visa or study permit:

a) The type of visa you will need to apply for.
b) Supporting documents required as part of the visa application, for example : host university acceptance letter, proof of accommodation, evidence of sufficient funds for the semester, police check, certificate of enrollment from Universiti Malaya.
c) The cost of your student visa, including the visa itself, the application cost, the cost of obtaining required supporting documents, and travel to the embassy to have the visa issued.

You may find the list of foreign embassies or consulates here: https://www.kln.gov.my/web/guest/foreign-embassy-malaysia

When can I go on exchange?
Students can go on exchange in Semester 1 (Fall Semester) or Semester 2 (Spring Semester). Kindly ensure which study period works best for you and put in your application before the deadline. Applicants must complete at least one semester in Universiti Malaya and not in a final semester during the program.

Can I do a Credit Transfer?
You need to refer to your respected faculty for credit transfer purposes. You may also refer to Kaedah dan Peraturan Universiti Malaya with regards to the credit transfer application.

Last Update: 16/05/2024