• International Students & Mobility Centre
  • studyabroad@um.edu.my
  • 03-7967 7712

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

How do I apply as inbound (mobility) long term student?

All applications must go through the online application portal apply.um.edu.my. Please refer to the Application User Guide Manual at https://studyabroad.um.edu.my/inbound-long-term-home.

The duration of the program is either 1 semester (6 months) or up to a maximum of 2 semesters (12 months).

  1. Enrolled as a degree student in home university
  2. Have completed at least one semester of study in home university
  3. Nominated by home university (Only applicable to Partner University Students; For non-partner and freemover applicants, no nomination is required;
  4. Have good academic standing with CGPA not less than 3.00 (over a total scale of 4.00) or equivalent;
  5. Have good English proficiency in speaking and writing (English requirement for courses in Faculty of Business & Accountancy and Faculty of Law: IELTS (academic) Band 6, TOEFL iBT 80).

Yes, You may make changes to your application by sending us an email at studyabroad@um.edu.my. However, changes can only be made with a reasonable justification. Any non-reasonable change request will not be entertained.

It will require a maximum of two months to process your application from the deadline of the application.

Yes, you will get a notification via the online application portal (apply.um.edu.my) and by email. Successful applicants will get the offer letter along with appendixes which consist of the registration & candidature information as well as visa application guidelines.

English is the general medium of instruction in UM. However, certain modules are taught in a different language

  • Science-based: 90% English
  • Social science-based: 80% courses taught in English, 20% in Malay Language or other foreign language*

*Academy of Malay Studies, Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences (except English subject), Academy of Islamic Studies

Inbound Mobility/Exchange students are allowed to register for modules with a minimum of 6 credits and up to a maximum of 20 credits for a normal semester. The modules to be undertaken shall be at an equivalent level or at a lesser level from the level undertaken at the student’s home university. A student is not allowed to undertake a higher level of study than that undertaken at the home university.

Last Update: 02/05/2024